Another newbie to pick your brains

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
Midlandsmadman

Another newbie to pick your brains

Post by Midlandsmadman » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:14 pm

Good Evening all.
My brother and me farm, or try to, about 100 acres in the Midlands. We do a bit of contracting, mostly hay making and have 2 old Renaults. One is a 103-14 with a Fauchaux loader and one is a 106-54. They've both done a fair few hours but they're reasonably easy to fix and we can't afford anything more modern.
I rebuilt the 106 engine just after we got it. The guy we bought it from said it used a little water so keep an eye on it. Well it was too late then and it mullered a big end. I got it to bits and found the two seals on the bottom of the liners were all twisted or not seated properly. So water was leaking past and into the oil. I replaced all the seals, found a company in Coventry to regrind the crank and got a used conn rod from Scotland. It's done really well and purrs like a kitten.
However, Lately the alternator is not charging the battery. Normally I'd start the engine and then blip the throttle and the dash lights would go out. I've checked it with a multimeter and it's not being activated from start up.
I've even tried a new alternator but it acts in the same way.
I will confess to doing a bit of welding on the front axle and not disconnecting the battery but the earth lead, from the welder, was right next to where I was welding. And it was all working after I did the welding.

The other issue I'm having is with the PTO clutch actuator. It's very difficult to engage the PTO. There's quite a lot of adjustment from the actuator to the clutch lever. Any idea how much there should be ?

Thanks for putting up with my ramblings.
MMM

JR27
Site Admin

Re: Another newbie to pick your brains

Post by JR27 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:06 am

Hi Midlandsmadman and welcome to the forum :)

Sounds like a good couple of tractors you've got there. Is it mostly hay you're producing on your own land too, or is that more the contracting side?

Would be interested to know what kit you've got...I farm a small area too and am slowly getting equipment together. I'm now into my third season with my 9ft Niemeyer mower conditioner and thinking about sourcing a reasonably cheap round baler. Having said that, a second tractor would probably be a better bet first. Current mower is probably a bit heavy for my 85hp Ares (both literally and powerwise).

Sounds stange with the alternator but sounds like there could be a burnt connection somewhere or one of the main fuses was blown with the welding (but you say it was working afterwards). Frustrating finding a new alternator doesn't work but at least it means you know there's something to find on the tractor somewhere!

Hope you get it sorted soon.
Renault Ares 540RX

Midlandsmadman

Post by Midlandsmadman » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:13 pm

Thanks for the heads up.
I still haven't found the problem but I'm not looking very much. With this good weather the haymaking is taking preference. I'm thinking the PTO problem is related as the lever, the 4wd take power from a hydraulic manifold under the cab. It moves oil which allows the PTO ram to operate and it's controlled by the electrics so I think it's all together.

We've got a couple of really old Kuhn 8foot mower conditioners. A Fella 4 rotor tedder, a really old Deutz Fhar 6 rotor tedder which I've had to weld up several times. A single rotor 4m Kuhn rake which I've fixed, again several times. A double rotor rake which is nice when you can get your head around the steering.
A MF high compression conventional baler and an old Welger which we haven't tried yet. A NH 740 big round baler.

More later. things need fixing.

JR27
Site Admin

Post by JR27 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:08 am

Cool. We've just added a Krone 4 rotor tedder to a 9ft Niemeyer mower and good, old Haybob for hay duties. Also got an old Jones conventional baler but it tends to get rounds fed through in the shed, rather than used in the field. Likely to be increasing hay output in years to come, so looking at getting a rake too sometime to speed things up. Haybob OK for rowing but takes bloody ages. How do you find the single rotor compared to the double? Hoping to add a round baler at some point too when funds allow.
Renault Ares 540RX